Friday, September 26, 2008

chocolate almond pb2 vegan biscotti

ok, this is the first real 'sweet' treat i've posted, and to be honest, most people won't find it that sugary sweet. although it's still yummy, i promise! i love coffee, and nothing sets off a nice cup of java like a biscotti cookie. for those of you unfamiliar with this crunchy twice-baked treat, give it shot. you won't regret it.


mix dry ingredients:
  • 1 and 3/4 cup whole wheat graham flour (i use hodgson mill)
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened organic cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup pb2 (peanut butter powder - sub peanut butter if you wish)
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds (i use non-roasted and hand chop)

in a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
  • 1/8 cup water
  • 1/4 cup softened vegan butter (i use earth balance lite)
  • 1/3 cup agave nectar
  • 1/4 cup peanut oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract

i slowly combine the wet into the dry, and mix with a spatula. after dough starts bind a little, i hand-knead until i have a 'batter'. it's much stiffer than cookie dough - but it should stick together, even if it still feels a little crumbly. you could always add a little more butter if it's falling apart too much. so once i have a dough, i break it in half and lay out two separate flat slabs on a greased baking sheet, about 1/2-3/4 inches thick. (see pic below) in this case, i didn't grease the sheet, but used foil instead.


traditionally, you are supposed to bake once before you make the first cut, but that's never worked for me (they fall apart). so i cut into biscotti strips about an inch wide, and bake at 350 f for about 25 minutes. pull out, and let cool for about 10-15 minutes. then turn the biscotti on their sides (see first pic), and bake for another 20 minutes.

once they have cooled, store in an air-tight container. to eat, dip in your favourite cup of coffee. they have just a hint of sweet almond cocoa peanut butter, but not too much of any one flavour. hope you enjoy them.

9 comments:

Meg said...

I guess this answers the question I have had for weeks about how these turned out! They look delicious!

Destiny's Kitchen said...

Oh yum! And no sugar either. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

These are my absolute favorite biscotti in the world...even though they are vegan!

Mrs. Mandy said...

Great post! I love that you have lots of photos. I have a vegan friend who was asking if I know of a killer green goddess dressing. I said I don't but I know someone who must...any ideas?

PS Thanks for following me. I'm trying to figure out how to follow you!

xoxo

Usha said...

Oh this looks awesome and no sugar too,love it :)

James said...

Looks good.

Any ideas for a vegan chocolate tart recipe?

Elizabeth Jarrard said...

mmm those look delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trish (forque) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trish (forque) said...

This looks soooo yummy. I love that it is not over sweet as sometimes I just crave a biscuit to dip into coffee without being sugar coated!!!

Can't wait to try it when I start fasting for Easter, in which I will be a vegan for a month. Will be a great opportunity to try lots of interesting recipes.

I can see myself coming to your blog for ideas as it is hard to find a good vegan website.