Monday, July 12, 2010

wild rice kale wrap

i've been a terrible blogger lately - summer is just so crazy busy.  the good news is that i'm still cranking out lots of recipes, i'm just not getting them posted as quickly as i'd like.  like a lot of vegans, finding a wrap or tortilla that doesn't contain l-cysteine has presented its challenges to me.  luckily our local store started carrying joseph's flax, oat bran & whole wheat tortillas, and i snatched them up in a hurry.  they were pretty decent, although they did start to dry out a little after a few days. you can see a few tears in the wrap, but that could also be because i overstuffed them.  at any rate, i was just happy to have a wrap to stuff all these yummy ingredients in.

  • 1/2 cup wild rice
  • 6 oz of tofu (marinated)
  • 1/3 avocado, sliced
  • 1/2 carrot shredded
  • 1 kale leaf, shredded
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1 joseph's flax wrap

tofu marinade:
  • 1/2 cup wheat free tamari
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 tablespoon of pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder

mix the tofu marinade ingredients in a bowl.  crumble the tofu and mix with marinade for a least 2 hours.

cook wild rice according to directions.  about 15 minutes before rice is done, heat a large non-stick skillet and pour both the tofu and the remaining marinade in and sauté on medium-high until liquid dissipates. turn the heat down to medium-low and continue to fry the tofu, using a spatula to flip over occasionally.  this creates a nice crispy outside on the tofu.  after it reaches your level of crispiness, turn off heat and let cool.  the rice should be done as well, and should cool for about 5 minutes before placing in the wrap.

you will want to use a small dash of olive oil to massage your kale - this will remove the cardboard stiffness that raw kale can have.   layer the rice, avocado, tofu, carrot, and kale.  add salsa to your liking and wrap like a burrito.

the delicious kale was part of week 3 csa bounty!

6 comments:

Mihl said...

Ha, ha, I always make my own tortillas. I can't even pronounce the stuff on the ingredient lists. This looks delicious!

Bianca said...

I was soooo disappointed when I learned that Flat Out wraps weren't vegan. I'll have to look for these. Now I always buy the dry, overpriced Ezekiel ones at Whole Foods.

Carrie said...

I always overstuff my wraps too!

I have yet to find vegan tortillas here that I actually like, other than making my own. But I'm too lazy to do that all of the time.

Vegan Valerie said...

What a very cute blog you have here! And your food looks delicious-- especially this wrap! It's so nice to find you Miss V! :)

Allison, The Busy (Happy!) Vegan said...

Ah - your post leaves me both happy and sad. I'm always happy for a new wrap recipe, especially one that fits in the good ness of kale! I'm always sad to learn of another unnecessary animal product that makes up one of my favourite foods. L-cysteine was unknown to me until a few minutes ago. I'll be looking for it (disappointedly, I'm sure), from now on.

sumidubi said...

Sooooo good and so easy! My favorite combination!This recipe is so delicious.My family love this recipe.



charitable organizations